Saturday, December 8, 2012

Aging with Grace


Life brings about many transitions, some easier than others. But aging can be somewhat complicated. You have your actual age and the age you feel. I found out that I'll be a grandmother soon, but there are days when I still feel like a teenager myself. Of course, there are those days when I feel much older too. Nevertheless, in my transitional period, I can say that I feel good to be a grandmother. And adding that title to my long list doesn't change the person that I am. I can still be youthful.

Remember, age isn't what it's cracked up to be. When we were ten, 25 seemed old to us. Later at 25, we thought 50 was ancient. But I pray that when I hit 50, I'll be wondering yet again, "What's all the fuss about? I'm still spry." After all, there is no rule set in stone that I have to slow down or look old or act old at 30, 40, 50 or even 80. Thus, I'm going to age gracefully, learning what each new day feels like by experiencing it for myself. No one is going to tell me how old I should act or if I can have a full, healthy, productive life. No disease. No doctor. And certainly not something as mutable as age. Who's with me?

No comments: